Monday, February 25, 2013

Week 3 Update

Week 3 was a complete success!  I really tried to be SUPER EXTRA good last week, and in the end it definitely paid off.  I met my workout goals, tried a new class, cooked something new, and saw results.  Here's what you missed:

Physical Activity:
-2/16/13: ran on the treadmill for 45 minutes
-2/18/13: ran on the treadmill for 25 minutes, then used the elliptical for 20 minutes
-2/19/13: took the BODYATTACK class
-2/21/13: swam laps freestyle for 30 minutes, 700 meters total

When I run on the treadmill, I actually do a combination of walking and running, since I'm just starting out and I want to ease into it, but it is mostly running.  Typically I'll warm up by walking for 1 song on my iPod, and then I'll run for 3 or 4 songs in a row, and then walk for a song, and then run again etc.  This week I realized one day that I had run for a mile straight without stopping, and it was such an accomplishment!  As I continue I'd like to start focusing on running longer distances at a time.  

I can also tell that I'm improving with swimming and this was only my third time going.  I swam 100 meters more than I normally do in the same amount of time.  I don't get tired as easily, and I can swim faster.  Hooray for progress!  I also took my own advice and tried a new class, les mills BODYATTACK.  Such an intense workout, and I can't wait to go back for more this week.  I have a feeling that class was a big reason why I saw such great results last week.

Food:
My dad was in town visiting last weekend so I ate out a lot, but I practiced a lot of self control, which was definitely not easy!  One night we went to a seafood buffet...aka temptation central.  I tried a little bit of everything, and let myself eat some of the not-so-healthy items; I just made sure to not overeat and when I was full, I stopped.  I even let myself get dessert!  Saturday we went to brunch and instead of ordering my usual favorite, Eggs Benedict, I opted for a Mediterranean Omelette with spinach, tomatoes, and feta cheese.  The dish came with hashbrowns that I only picked at.  These are the kinds of changes I'm trying to make that I can be happy with.  I still eat things I like, I just don't overdo it.

Cooking:
One of my initial goals for this challenge was to start learning how to cook things myself, and I'd like to try to learn how to cook 1 new thing each week.  I need to learn how to make things for myself instead of relying so much on prepared foods, and I've been finding a lot of yummy, healthy recipes online that I'd like to try out.  Week 3's recipe was a really simple but delicious dish:
Broccoli and Quinoa Casserole!
Quinoa is something I had been wanting to learn how to cook, since it's a grain but it's also a complete protein and so good for you.  It's an excellent substitute for rice or pasta!  This recipe was so easy, which I need because I have practically zero experience in the kitchen.  I found this on Pinterest, but the original recipe can be found here.  I was able to eat the casserole all throughout the week and didn't have to feel bad about it!  More cooking adventures to come, but now on to the moment of truth...

Weigh-In:
Even though I tried to be really good all week, I was really nervous that I might not have lost any weight during week 3.  I wasn't really noticing any physical changes, so I was more than pleasantly surprised to get on the scale Saturday and see that I lost...

3 POUNDS!!!

That's right, I lost 3 pounds in 1 week!  I was ecstatic.  I have now lost a total of 6 pounds in 3 weeks and I have 12 weeks left to lose the remaining 9 pounds.  I know that the more weight you lose, the harder it becomes, so I remind myself that while this progress is fantastic, I may plateau at some point and have weeks where I don't lose anything, so I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.  All in all, I'm really happy with how week 3 went and I'm reassured that I'm taking the right steps towards a healthier me. 

Any tips or questions you'd like to share with me are greatly appreciated, especially delicious, easy, healthy recipes that I can try!

1 comment: