Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Shmammy's Turkey Chili

These are by far the funniest recipe directions I've ever received, so even if you don't make this you should still read through and have a nice laugh!  One of my best friends (Shmammy) sent me this Turkey Chili recipe to try out last week, and it was delicious!  I wanted to share it with everyone before the weather gets too warm for a dish like this, so here you go (you're welcome in advance):
I can practically smell it cooking.

You will need:
1 cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic (or 3 tbs minced garlic)
1 cup mushrooms
2 tsps cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tbs chili powder
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 28 oz. can of dice tomatoes
1 15 oz. can kidney beans
1 15 oz. can pinto beans 
1 cup of water (optional)

Directions:
-Get a big pot!
-Saute 1 cup of chopped onions and 3 cloves of garlic!  (or a few tbs if you have the jarred minced garlic like me!)
-Do that for like 3 min?
-Put the mushroomies in there!  I think the recipe said a cup but I like me some mushrooms so I put in a lot more.
-Let that cook for 5 min!
-Add in 2 tsp of cumin!
-1 tsp of oregano i think? haha
-1 tbs of chili powder!
-Let that get all yummy then add in 1 lb of ground turkey!  Go for the lean!
-Cook that until it's no longer pink and add 1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes!
-Add 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of pinto (Add what you like! Black beans? Even corn? Woohoo for southwestern!)
-1 cup of water is optional depending on how thick you want it.
-Let that simmer for 30 min!
-Eat with multigrain crackers!  A yummy baguette!  Goldfishies!  Cheese!  Sour cream!  Put it over brown rice!  Yummmmmmmerooni!

These directions had me cracking up laughing!  I served it over brown rice and sprinkled some low fat cheddar cheese on top...DEEE-LICIOUS! 
The finished product

I put the recipe into my food tracking site (www.livestrong.com) and it generated the following nutritional data: Yields approx. 8 1 cup servings.  Per serving: Calories 287; Fat 4g; Cholesterol 32.5mg; Sodium 411mg; Carbs 39g; Dietary Fiber 14.6g; Sugars 4.8g; Protein 24.8g.

If you try this out, let me know how it goes!

1 comment: